Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2021

Design Favourites

1. Infinity pool: I like it because of the aesthetics. It needs one sidewall lower than the water level and a pump to continuously maintain the water level.



2. Door free entrances to public rest rooms: I like it because it maintains privacy without an actual door, leading to better hygiene and easier maintenance.


3. Shutterless airplane windows: I like it because it removes one movable component per window. Also during take-off and landing, the pilot can centrally control the window transparency (without having the cabin crew pleading/cajoling all passengers to comply).


4. Slit in Ikea cup base: I like it due to its functional utility. When I first looked at a cup in Ikea, I thought it was a defective product. Later I saw every cup has that slit/chip. After about six months of use, I understood the reason. It was for draining residual water after a wash in the dishwasher when I kept the cup upside down. I realized it while unloading the dishwasher. Many bowls (ironically from Ikea itself) had a little bit of water remaining in the concavity behind the bowls. Not the cups. 
Also, you need to load the cups on the inclined portion of the dishwasher rack with the slit aligned with the slope. Only then the water will effectively drain out (as shown below):






No comments: