Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Capitation-fee, Free-market-competition AND The-Hindu

In The-Hindu, there was an editorial on capitation-fee menace. In the comments section I had a discussion with one reader(Pawan). I am cut-pasting that in this blog post as in The-Hindu, I was having some difficulty posting my entire reply in one comprehensive post. Here goes my reply:

@Pawan. My heartfelt thanks for your reply. Let me share my views on the points you mentioned:
You wrote: Then private colleges should stop hiring fresh pass outs as lecturers and at least provide provide NIT level faculty
My point: Let the private college hire class4-passouts as faculty. The students, as informed customers, will come to know of it and avoid the college. Government may facilitate disclosing the experience level of faculty as a part of accredition criterion.


You wrote: 2. Ask them to provide the facilities for the capitation fees they charge
My point: Let the private college run out of tent in a field, if they wish to. The students as informed customers, will come to know of it and avoid the college. Government may  facilitate disclosing the facilities-standard as a part of accredition criterion.


You wrote: 3. Guarantee 100% placement with at least a salary of 2.5 to 4 lacs so that the money borrowed to pay capitation fees can be repayed
My point: Let the private college not conduct any campus-interview, if they wish. The students as informed customers, will come to know of it and avoid the college. Government may  facilitate disclosing the placement-record as a part of accredition criterion


You wrote: If they can do the above then they should be allowed to make profit or else they have no right to make profits.
My point: The Holy And Sacred Force Of Free Market Competition (THASFOFMC) can solve this problem of capitation-fee excess. In fact, THASFOFMC can solve most of the problems on this planet. There are some situations where THASFOFMC won't apply though.
However, as I see that my earlier post has got N-downvotes. I am sure that I will convince none of them about THASFOFMC. At my personal level, I only make my best attempt to defeat the opposing side politically.

No comments: