Friday, February 24, 2012

Mercury in Compact Fluoroscent Lamps(CFL)

CFLs contain mercury which makes them hazardous to dispose. Once a CFL reaches end-of-life, dumping it in general dustbin is a dangerous thing to do. Mercury getting into food chain is bad.
In India, it will take a while before mechanisms to recycle CFLs materialize. Till that time, users can store the used CFLs at home. A small box should do, as CFLs last long and it is unlikely that an average household accummulates a truckload of used-CFL.
My consciousness about this issue has been raised by following links:
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article2910689.ece
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/article2574395.ece
http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/stories/5-ways-to-dispose-of-old-cfls

2 comments:

Srinivas Muthadi said...

Good suggestion. We are simply oblivious to the dangers posed by mercury to our health.

Sambaran said...

@Srinivas,
And the bad part is that, if something is not done, our landfills are going to get poisoned with mercury. Scary scenario indeed.